I love the vibrant colours in tap and jazz costumes. Here are three costumes I made for Eloise and Tarli.
Tarli will wear this costume with long black gloves, fishnet tights and a bobbed black wig. Can’t wait to see the photos!
The black appliques have been blinged up with purple and red stones.
This bright green and gold tap costume was great fun to make.
I used 2 different laces, one green on a black background and the other warm gold and copper. Lots of green rhinestones added sparkle.
The triple layer skirt was hand dyed into 3 different green shades.
This beautiful burgundy costume is for slow tap. The long split skirt shows the dancer’s legline.
The costume has cosmic mesh sleeves and skirt for some subtle bling and a richly embellished collar. The underskirt is black to enhance the burgundy.
And here is the lovely Eloise on stage.
Photo by WinkiPoP Media
Photo by WinkiPoP Media
My client wanted a Waltz Tap costume with an Irish green theme that would pop on stage, so we chose a lycra mystique for a bit of shine, heavy gold embellishment and a serious encrusting of rhinestones. This is the concept design I worked up.
My client wanted the deep V on the front and nude mesh down into the sleeves. There are lots of costumes with nude mesh across the shoulders but I wanted to make it a little different so I made a completely nude back and brought the nude mesh around the back of the arms as well.
Stretch fabrics are very forgiving and you are really only limited by your imagination. I wanted some nice curves in the cutaway sections so played around until I achieved something I liked.
playing with trim
I played around with the trim to see how it worked with the shapes I had created. The trim was fairly rigid so I wanted to be sure it would fit before I sewed it all together.
Then it was time to bling.
For some extra sparkle we used holographic nude mesh.
dyeing stretch mesh
Waltz tap costumes often have long skirts. I like to use stretch mesh for skirts because it has a great drape, doesn’t need hemming and dyes beautifully.
and then it was time to bling up the bodice. I used a mixture of crystal and acrylic rhinestones in different colours and sizes to give some interest.
The effect was really quite lovely and I was very happy with the finished design.
front showing arm cutaways
and of course there’s a little head-dress to match!